Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Vintage Door Knobs: Can-Do or Can of Worms?

Recently I purchased a lovely porcelain door knob from Ruby Lane, to use in my powder room.  You see, our home was built in 1904, but is almost entirely occupied by shiny gold, brass knobs circa 1990.  Not my personal favorite thing.  So back to this door knob I purchased.  It was in great shape with white porcelain knobs and the original porcelain rosettes (the pieces that go against the door and hold the knob- harder to find) and it was $20 which costs less than some new knobs you see at Home Depot.  I was proud of how thrifty I was being, and how true to the historic roots of my home.

The precious

The dream has died.  I discovered, much to my chagrin, that my antique doors had been drilled into, with big huge holes, to accommodate modern door knobs.  Thereby ruining my life.  Some people are so selfish.  I was very disappointed to learn this sad truth.  It means I can't just go buy vintage door knobs to swap out (like I had done in our previous home).  No, instead I have to find specially made rosettes which convert the modern bored hole into one that can hold a vintage door knob.  I am not the first person to come across this problem (see a very helpful post on the subject from The Brass Knob) but I may well be the most vocal.

The good news is, such rosettes are made by many companies.  My current favorite version is sold by House of Antique Hardware and is of course, about $20 a pop (at 2 per door, with 12 doors, you can see how this becomes a runaway cost train pretty quickly).  You can buy less pricey versions in polished brass, but that ain't gonna work- I want antique brass.  I need to find a more cost effective solution.

And then I need to find 12 doorknobs like these:

Source: Columbus Architectural Salvage
Drool.  Only, I need to do this project for a lot fewer dollars.  This is one itch that I may not be able to scratch right away.  My dad auctions off estates sometimes, so I may get lucky.  Or not.  Let the brainstorm begin (I welcome your suggestions!)




No comments:

Post a Comment