Friday, May 11, 2012

Silhouettes Repurposed Yet Again

I am a lover of repurposing things I already own.  And I am a lover of antiques.  It just so happens that I have a small collection of silhouette pictures from my childhood, and I've always tried to find a place for them wherever I live.  It helps that silhouettes have been in vogue lately, but I would love them anyhow.  In our previous home, we decorated with them in our guest room:



Later when it became a nursery, I only had room for one, and we HAD to have ONE!


Well, in our new home, I was recently faced with a design challenge.  I needed something large-scale to hang above Claire's crib on the HUGE wall behind it.  We have luxiously high ceilings, and big spaces are nothing to complain about, but I'm not used to it yet!  And all my decor is small-scale because our first home was tiny.  So to address my wide open wall, I tried hanging a quilt above the bed but it just looked funny, and still didn't take up enough horizontal space.  I thought about buying a couple of big circus posters from Pottery Barn Kids too,

but of course this did not fit the "cheap or free" decorating mandate from my husband.  Which I am unfortunately forced to take seriously.  I started brainstorming... I do have lots and lots of fabric.  What if I framed it?  I've seen this done a thousand times on pinterest.
See http://pinterest.com/pin/64246732154433176/

See http://pinterest.com/pin/112871534380449830/
Brilliant!  I decided to go for it.  I hit up the Christmas Tree Shop (my favorite go-to place, you'll see I talk about it allllll the time) and scored these amazing weathered wood frames for $5.99 each (and I came armed with a 20% off coupon)!  Of course, I still needed to add more pink, so I picked up a spool of ribbon, thinking I might decorate the frames I bought.  And then it hit me-- I would "hang" the pictures using the ribbon, to bring in more pink and tie the look together.

Ta da!
I used pink and white polka dotted fabrics that had previously lived another life as a table cloth (speaking of repurposing), and the project took all of 5 minutes to assemble.  Not bad for $15 and some things I already had!  And by the way, I love instagram, and how it makes my iphone photos look artsy.  Now I just need a use for my other silhouettes...

Have you repurposed anything fun lately?

No comments:

Post a Comment